Job Type: Permanent
Salary: Competitive Salary
We are recruiting for an Automation Engineer to join our Technology Operations team in Reading.
Huntswood's success relies on its computing facilities being available, effective and efficient.
The purpose of the role of the Automation Engineer drive an implement the use of automation in Huntswood. You will be part of a technical team assisting us on our automation transformation journey. You will be constantly looking for opportunities where we can improve out process through automation and the adoption of new technologies, then designing and implementing the solution.
The Automation Engineer will also work with the Service Desk team to assist with implementing auto deployment strategies such as new starter enrolment and application/image deployment alongside ensuring that issues are effectively dealt with and the team meet their SLAs.
Huntswood takes information security seriously and has achieved certification to ISO27001. The Automation Engineer work with the Security team to ensure that Huntswood's computing facilities are kept secure and that new proposals, installations, upgrades and changes do not breach Huntswood's security policy or expose us to unnecessary risk.
* Design, automate and continuously improve solutions for desktop applications, desktop/laptop images and end user new starter enrolment/movers/leavers.
* Provide direction and execute on desktop/laptop security, continuous integration, improvement of existing features, deployment and rollout of new services, monitoring and IT operations practices
* Develop an innovate approach to simplify and streamline processes to increase reliability, improve efficiency and minimize errors.
* Improve and support the following technologies
- Windows Desktop and Laptop image deployment -DSC, WDS etc
- Linux server deployment and configuration management - Centos/RHEL
- Windows server deployment and configuration management
- Mobile Phones and Tablets Inc. MDM tool (Intune) or equivalent
- Identity management / device access controls including multi-factor authentication via on-site and remote access
- Local storage encryption
- Device security and malware avoidance
* Ensure the technology, systems & support are optimised for customer facing individuals or teams working remotely from the office - from design through to remediation of issues.
* Ensure that all incidents, requests and problems are dealt with in a timely manner and if required escalated to the appropriate team if they are not able to be resolved within the agreed timescale.
* Work closely with the Head Office Systems Specialist to gain a greater understanding of the applications that are in use by Head Office Staff to ensure that the desktop support team can support the users with these applications.
* Be a true team player, working professionally and constructively with colleagues offering help and assistance with incidents, user requests, problems and projects.
* Ensure Huntswood's computing facilities are kept secure to reduce the risk of breaches of confidentiality, integrity and availability.
* Able to occasionally work out of hours to avoid disruption to end users
* Able to join an on-call out of hour rota should there be a need in the future
The right candidate will:
* Be experienced in using Windows deployment tools (creating master images, writing deployment automation scripts and GPOs)
* Be proficient in Windows PowerShell scripting plus other scripting languages e.g. python
* Have a good level of understanding of a Microsoft Windows Active Directory environment and GPOs
* Have a good level of understanding of TCP/IP networking and associated services.
* Have excellent business communication skills, able to communicate at all levels.
* Be an out-of-the-box thinker with a passion for IT and how information technology and new technology can be used to improve Huntswood.
* Be solution and service oriented. Able to measure & improve the employee experience of the sum of the parts of technology provision.
Desirable skills include;
* Experience utilizing APIs in scripting
* Understanding of Continous Intergration and Delivery concepts
* Understanding of Configuration Management tools i.e SaltStack, Chef, Puppet etc.
* Advanced understanding of physical computing environments including, physical servers, SAN technology, and networking devices.
* Understanding of backup strategies and technologies.
* Any of the following IT qualifications; CompTIA A+, Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP), Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).
* Experience of working with ISO27001:2005 onwards.
* Experience of modern telephony systems including VOIP
* Experience working on projects and breaking down projects into actions.
* Full and clean driving license.
To work with, Huntswood's employees are described as dependable, driven and collaborative. The job holder should be able to demonstrate they are;
* Confidential, reliable and genuine
* Dynamic, passionate and determined
* Friendly, compassionate and cooperative
"It's not just about what we do, but the way we do it. And it's our values that make us special."
Apply for this role
Fields marked * are required